Friday 18 June 2010

Swim, little fish, be free!


Schwimmbad
Originally uploaded by duqueıros (away)


A confession: I'm not very good at swimming. I'm not desperately keen on putting my nose and mouth underwater as a matter of course, which makes the whole staying afloat thing that bit more tiring. Despite these limitations, I do enjoy pootling up and down lanes at the pool.

Imagine my delight, then, to find that my new borough offers three free swimming sessions a week for girls and women, on top of free swimming for all on Friday. All that's needed is a Pay and Play card, which costs around £3 a year. Woo!

(There is a risk that this scheme will be short-lived, as our not-so-fluffy-or-caring-now-we're-actually-in-power government axed the nationwide free swim scheme yesterday. Apparently most people questioned would have paid to go anyway. Rot, I say. This is where I give thanks for living in an area with an entirely Labour council, who will likely hold out against such cuts for as long as humanly possible)

So, today being Friday, I'm off to the pool! Have a good day!

*The title of this post is something my siblings and I would say to creatures we'd netted on rockpooling expeditions, as we tipped them back into their watery homes at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment