Thursday 22 July 2010

Argh!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am terrified of wasps. Just thinking about them makes my skin crawl. I'm lucky enough never to have been stung, largely because I either freeze or run for the hills at the first sighting.

Imagine my horror, then, as I noticed a steady stream of the little blighters coming and going to the eaves above my bathroom. No doubt about it, we have a nest up in the loft. Hundreds of them, waving their antennae in that menacing fashion. Probably plotting how to make me join the "I was stung once, it was horrible" club. (As a separate point entirely, why do people, as soon as they hear you're terrified of waspies, then launch into their top 3 stinging stories? I don't tell my sister about sharks, or my mother about snakes!)

I've been looking up nest removal companies, who all seem to suggest that poison outside of the entry point will do the trick. But that still leaves a dead nest in my loft, which frankly makes me feel ill. I want them gone!

Post edit: The Boy poisoned the nest last night, all on his own. I hid behind the door, pointing at the spot I saw wasps and whimpering. He let me swoon over this new (to me) talent of his for a moment, then sat me down to talk "expectation management". It will take a couple of applications, and there'll be dead and dying wasps a-plenty to deal with in the next week. Bet you can guess what my nightmares last night were about...

No comments:

Post a Comment